Cats/Cat behavior after having babies

Question
Hi,my cat deliver'd her babies last night. She's attentive to them as long as I stay with her. If I leave the room she sits at the door crying for me,when I come back she's very affectionate towards me, almost like she's in heat. Is this normal? She has always had separation anxiety,but with her having the babies now this could turn into a serious issue. I'm new to the world of cats and would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks

Answer
Robin,

First of all,does your new mama have milk? Do you have the kittens in a box with bedding? Have you left some of the original bedding where they births took place?

Normally, cats are most attentive to their babies during the first couple of days.  Also, the babies do not need milk immediately (according to some very good sources, colostrum is not critical to newborn kittens). Usually, if their fed within 3 days of birth, they will be OK.

What happens to new mamas who have not quite figured out the drill, the milk causes so much pressure, their instincts take over and they get in and feed the kittens.

If you need instructions on hand feeding or any of the above, please let me know with a follow up.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz