Cats/Cat Senses.

Question
Dear Norman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_senses

Our relative has a Cat which got lost about 5 kilometers far from their house while travelling in a Car near a river bridge. The cat jumped out of the vehicle.

The Cat returned to the House after 8 days of its own.

Is this unbelievable ?. But its is a Fact.

Will you attribute this to Cat's Smell for tracing his master's house ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,

Congratulations to your relative on the cat finding its way back!!!!!

We know cats are very territorial, and we know they can find their way back to their home territory from many, many kilometers away and after many, many months.

I have never seen a good explanation on how they do it, so it remains a bit of a mystery to us.

Cats probably use all their senses when finding their way home. We also do not know if cats have more than the five usual senses we have. We do know their senses of smell, sight, hearing, and touch are better developed than ours although not so much their sense of taste.

So, no, the return is not unbelievable at all, but I really wish we knew how they did it

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz