I have two cats and both get very traumatised, when I place them in their per carrier for transportation to the vet. It gets worse when I leave my property and start to drive (20 minutes drive). At times they urinate and defecate in the pet carrier.

Is there anything,I  can do to calm the cats down when we need to travel.

Your assistance will be appreciated.

If the only place you take your cats in the carriers is to the vet, no wonder they are traumatized.

Many pet supermarkets encourage people to bring their pets to the store in a carrier. Some of these trips may help some of the problem. Another technique is to get them in an old carrier first and let them sit in their respective old carriers for a while. Many cats will urinate and defecate and vomit in these older carriers, and, once they get it out of their systems, they are ready to go in a newer carrier and tend to be OK.  This will not be fixed over night, but it is worth the number of weeks it may take to get them acclimated  to less stress in the car.

Another thing you can do is to give the cats treats once they get to anywhere without incident. This last will help once the original issue gets resolved.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you give a cat something that messes with its head, it may fight the effect and matters can become worse.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.