Cats/The Show Cat's "Human" handler

After watching/exhibiting at shows forseveral years. I've a question for you. What do you see as the difference between the following owner behaviors after a judging and the mental health of the (usually) innocent cat? (Ha!)
I see the following behaviors by owners after not being judged "as expected":
(1) sweet acceptance (from saccharin to apparent acceptance of the call), (2) rage blaming totally the "stupidity" of the judge,(3) making a plethora of unrelated excuses having nothing to do with the judging process, (4) rage blaming the audacity of the competitors to enter the show and dare to compete, (5) rage at the animal who was just judged, calling their own "companion animal" with foul epithets beyond belief/and or threatenng the animal, (6) attempting to learn from the experience, regardless of what the exhibitor believes he/she is learning.  I personally find the anger directed towardthe catto be the most offensive and unbelievable; and, yes, it has been obsered seferal times. The other responses...your take Dr. Freud of the Feline world.
Thank you.
An Observant Exhibitor

I have been showing cats since April 1970!!! I felt that the movie about dog shows: "Best in Show" also applied to cats.  I could name various characters in the cat fancy that matched the behaviors in that movie.

Fortunately, cats seem to be immune to the aberrant behaviors of their owners. I find that any anger towards a cat is misplaced and reprehensible. So, I am in complete agreement with you.

Myths that existed since I have been in are:  "Judges have lists of cats they are supposed to put up."; "Judges have lists of people who are 'blackballed'"; "If my cat wins it's beautiful. If your cat wins, it's politics."; etc.

I am in complete agreement with you. Your observations are consistent with mine.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.