Cats/mother cat of 4 week old kitties suddenly wobbly

Hi, we rescued a mama cat that was ready to pop. She had 6 kitties with the runt dying.she has been an amazing mom to the remaining 5 for over 4 weeks now. I noticed she was walking funny about a week and a half after she gave birth, but figured her teet's hurt from milk/nursing.  She eats great, drinks, purs, loves belly rubs. However, her wobbling has gotten worse. She now stumbles when she walks and her vision doesn't seem to track like it should. No fever or any other symptoms. Still eats, drinks, etc. Thoughts?

I'd like to start by saying that I am not a veterinarian and this does sound like a medical issue to me... If I had to guess I'd say that your queen may have eclampsia - it's a magnesium deficiency brought on by the stress of pregnancy, birth and nursing and it must be treated by a vet, however there could be any number of medical issues causing your cat to be wobbly. I would suggest having your vet assess your queen as soon as possible for diagnosis and treatment. When you do bring your queen to the vet to be assessed please be sure to bring her babies along as she may end up needing hospitalization and you don't want to unnecessarily separate nursing babies from their mom.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.