Cats/Stray cat urgent

QUESTION: I have found a stray cat a few months ago and I put fliers everywhere and it's been 4 months now and no one came so I'm groping to keep her. My mom said not to give her regular cat food because she is already used to eating in the wild. So what do I feed her and how do I care for her thank you. My mom also said giving a feral cat cat food can cause kidney stones and I don't want that.

ANSWER: Vanessa,

I do not know where your Mom got her information, but there is nothing wrong with cat food. We like to mix a good canned food like Friskies or Nine Lives with a good dry food, like Holisitic Select or Taste of the Wild. These dry foods have no corn, no wheat, no soy, and no gluten. You should be able to get thse

As far as how much to feed, it depend on the cat's size and metabolism. We feed our cats twice a day and never leave food out for them to "graze". If the cat begins to lose weight (its ribs begin to show), you are not feeding enough. If the cat begins to get fatter past where the ribs are just hidden, you are feeding too much. Your veterinarian can tell you what to look for.

We also give all of our cats distilled water to drink since it is neither acid nor base, and this will do as much for avoiding kidney and urinary tract infections as anything.

Has the cat been neutered or spayed? Has the cat been to see your veterinarian? Has the cat had its correct shots?

There are many, many books on cat care, but I would go to the library and see what they have. Check one out and see what it tells you to do.

You can always come back to me if you have questions.

Your kitty will need a litter pan. We like to use a covered litter pan with a Rubbermaid dishpan inside. You can dump the litter a couple times a week and wash the dish pan with bleach water. While the one litter pan is drying, you can use a second one until that needs washing and just alternate them weekly.

Please come back to me with follow on questions.

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: How do you train cats to do tricks and to come when called?

Getting cats to come when they are called is a real trick. They will often "take a message" and get back to you when they are good and ready.

An excellent training regimin for cats (among other animals) is called "clicker training".

You can check out

This technique has had the most success for training cats as any I have seen.

One of the tricks to getting cats to do what you want them to do is to make the cat think it is their idea.  Also, negative reinforcement techniques tend to not work very well with cats. Clicker training is built on positive reinforcement techniques.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.