Cats/None

Question
Hi Mr Norman,

Well right now, I'm really confused. You see I have been keeping cats for a long time, say 4 to 5 years. But I have an older brother who despises cats. And he claims that he is sick and tired of 'bearing' my cats for this entire time. So in this case, perhaps it's my fault too.

You see the thing is that my brother likes dogs, unlike me and on one occasion, he was forced to take pass on a Bull Terrier because of my cats (I thought the young dog could have been dangerous for my dogs so I stopped him). But after my last cat was stolen, he insisted that there should be no next cat. But later,against his wishes, he allowed me to get my 6th cat, thanks to the last bit of compromise he had.

Now my brother wanted that the cat be kept outside but I never listened to him. Soon enough, my cat developed a habit of coming inside my house. And this time, as summers were coming, she also began to shed her hair. And with that, my brother kinda snapped he started to forcibly put the cat outside in a slightly rough manner despite knowing that it was pregnant. I did tried to stop him but he only used to scold me for not 'making it an outdoor cat' and testing his patience to it's limits.

But yesterday, my cat being a month pregnant aborted 6 of her kittens. And now I'm holding my brother responsible for that. But my brother pleaded that he never intended the abortion but merely, only wanted the cat outside in the lawn.

Now he said that to get it outside he either nudged it firmly or used to pick it up and 'throw' her outside, like from  distance of 3-4 feet from the ground. But he did acknowledge that he was sorry for overreacting on his part.

Now was it really his fault or I'm torturing the long suffering guy for no reason?

Thanks a lot.

Answer
Jem,

Cats are creatures of habit and, pregnant females like to seek out quiet places where they can have their kittens undisturbed. It is possible that this mistreatment of the pregnant cat by your brother caused the abortion of the kittens. It does not matter what was "intended", common sense dictates that pregnant animals be treated gently.

I would not let your brother off the hook as his rough treatment of this queen may have caused the abortion.

Sad regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz