Cats/my 9 yr old cat in heat

Hi I have a 9 yr old cat in heat, she has a heart condition that keeps her from being spayed .what can I do to make her more comfortable during this uncomfortable time and will this last her life time ? Iam keeping her  away from the rest of my 19 cats but they are all spayed and nuetered  but she is a pest to them

Wow, this is a bit of a sticky wicket. Remember, I am not a vet, and I know of no medication that reliably keeps a female out of heat safely for an extended period of time.  Often by age 9, they have usually "spayed" themselves (kind of like human menopause). I would not embark on any kind of hormone therapy without double checking with a cardio-vascular veterinarian.

Often with females in season, you just have to endure it until they come out.

Best of luck with this unfortunate situation, but I would be contacting a veterinarian for better advice. BTW, we have tried some of those herbal "remedies" with no results!!!!!!!!

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.