Cats/Feral question

QUESTION: Hi! I have two female ferals that have been living in my yard for almost a year now. I feed and take care of them. About a month ago a tom cat started coming around and scaring them. I took him in to get fixed about three weeks ago and he has not left since. The problem is that my two females are terrified of him and they are sneaking around to eat, etc. I was wondering if there is anything to do to make them get along? I feel so bad that the two females are basically kicked out of their home! Any advice would be appreciated...thank you!

ANSWER: Amber,

It often takes a neutered male many weeks after the time of neutering before the hormone levels finally drop.  I would wait a few months and see what develops.  I do not think you can get a good read on how well they will do together while he is still hormonal.

Are your females fixed?

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: Thank you for your response! Yes, they are both fixed. Also, the male has Feline Aids, are the two females in danger of catching it from him? He doesn't bite them, just chases them.

OK, Feline Immunodefficiency Virus (FIV, a.k.a. Feline Aids) does have a vaccine. As long as any cat roams outside it is at risk for Rabies, FIV and Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV). So, it would probably be a good idea to have your two girls innoculated for FIV after a discussion with your veterinarian. I expect because of local laws the two girls are probably inoculated against Rabies.

The problem may not just be the new tom, but any other cat that can enter your yard who may carry these diseases.

Remember, I am not a vet, but a concerned owner of many, many years.

Please let me know how things go with your vet.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.