Cats/Which to introduce my cat to first: the new cat or the new house?

Hi Kate,

I have a two-year-old female cat who is small and sweet and loves to be around people and other cats.  I am moving out of my parentsí house to a townhouse in a month, and Iím planning on getting an additional kitten/cat.  My question is: do I get a kitten before I move so I can introduce my cat to it in her familiar environment before moving both into an unfamiliar environment; or do I wait and install my cat in the new house and then introduce a kitten a few weeks later?

Thank you!

I would recommend that you move into your new home first and then give your cat at leat a month to get used to her new home before you get another kitten.

I don't know if you let your cat out or not but if you do then you will have to keep your cat inside the new home for about two weeks and then she will have another two weeks to get to know her outside world too before another cat comes on the scene./

Good luck and I wish you every happiness in your new home.

I have several pages on my cat site which cover introducing cats to each other and moving with a cat. Use the search box on my site to find the pages at

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.