Cats/Mother Cat

My daughter had a stray cat give birth to four kittens 2 weeks ago and so with cold weather coming she moved them all into her basement and it has been 24 hours or a little more and the mother has not gone to the bathroom yet.   Is this normal or not?

It is difficult to say whether this is normal or not as all cats toilets habits are different. 24 hours is not so long. Just make sure the cat has plenty to drink and does drink as dehydration can cause constipation. If she has not "been" in a day or so it may be worth just getting the vet to give her a quick look over.

She my page regarding cat constipation for more information on the subject.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.