Cats/Separating Cats

Question
I have had my first cat, Axel, since she was a kitten, almost four years now. A little over a year ago, I took in my brother's kitten Mogley as well. Axel hated Mogley at first as she is not a very personable cat. She now tolerates him but they don't exactly adore each other. They play fight often and infrequently groom each other but other than that they avoid each other. Now I have to move and am giving Mogley back. Mogley is very playful, curious and affectionate with everybody whereas Axel hides from anyone other than me. I am worried about how the change will affect the cats. Can you give me any advice?

Answer
I am not to sure what the problem may be. It sounds as if Mogley will be fine as he is the sort of cat that will adapt easily and fit in with new people and places. Cats don't need the companionship of other cats and they adopt us humans as their family and so as long as they are receiving regular food and attention they should be OK.

Regarding Axel, well if he never really got on with Mogley he may well be happy that he will be an only cat again. He will still have you. Moving can be stressful, but only in the sense that it will take time for them to get to know their new territory. Perhaps give Axel extra time and affection for the first few weeks until he settles in.

Don;t worry too much, cats are very adaptable creatures, it is inbred in them as in the wild that had to adapt to all sorts of changes in their environment. My cat has moved several times and has been fine. Hope this helps :)

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Cats

Kate Tilmouth