Cats/Strange Behavior

I have a male house cat, who isn't neutered, and will be one year really soon. Lately, he's been acting strange. He eats well, but when he uses the bathroom, it smells unbelievably bad. And his behavior is normal when I get home from school. He runs, plays with my other cats and dog, and eats. But later on in the day, he's very quiet, doesn't move from his spot, and only gets up to eat, or use the bathroom. This has been going on for about two weeks now, and I am unsure if this is normal. Is there something wrong with him?

It sounds like your little boy cat is becoming frustrated and is showing signs of erratic behavior. His natural urges are probably starting to really kick in now and without being able to carry them out as he would in the wild he is going a little crazy.
I always recommend that even though your cat is an indoor cat it is kinder to have them neutered as it will stop your cat from becoming so frustrated.
The smelly urine is another sign of a male cats hormones kicking in.
Hope this has helped :)

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.