Cats/Worms

Question
Hi there! I adopted a cat (male, 4 months, domestic, medium hair) about one week ago from an animal shelter. When he was found stray he had worms (apparently not uncommon for strays) and was dewormed. Before I took him home he was dewormed an additional time, and the technician said that should take care of it for sure.  Anyways, since I have had him home he has been having diarrhea and has an uncontrollable appetite. I am wondering whether this could be worms or maybe due to the change in diet. I don't want to take him to the vet if I don't need to, I have heard there are some over the counter medications available at pet stores. What do you think?

Answer
Hi
yes it is possible that he has diarrhea due to the change of food etc. But also if it is worms then perhaps they have not all been fully go rid of yet and that it will need a little longer for the medicine to work.
I wouldn't worry about trying to buy any worming treatments over the counter as they are not as good as the ones you can buy from the vet and about the same price.
I would suggest waiting a few more days and keep an eye on your cat. If his symptoms do get worse then I'm afraid that the kindest thing to do is to take him to the vet as there may be something else wrong.
Don't worry too much, it's early days and I'm sure that things will settle down.

Kate
/cat-worms.html

Cats

Kate Tilmouth