Cats/breeding

Question
my 1 year old cat gave birth 3 days ago, the kittens are healthy and ok. she wants to go out , but i am not sure how soon she will come into season after the birth, i want to get her spayed asap, and do not want another litter. is it safe to let her out and when can i get her spayed ?

Answer
It is unlikely that your cat will come back into heat so quickly after giving birth however sometimes the cat go into what is know as a false in heat state which will stimulate male cats into trying to mate with her. She will have known of it but could result in some nasty fight injuries.
My suggestion would be not to let her out for a while and telephone your vet to ask how soon she can be spayed. It is better to er on the side of caution in these circumstances.
I hope that helps a little

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Cats

Kate Tilmouth