My 4 month old cat is rubbing her bottom on the carpet after using the litter box.  She has been checked for worms and parasites.  When we first got her she was unable to clean her own bottom because of a collar to keep her from pulling out her stitches from spaying and a hernia operation. What could be causing this?

This is a strange one, especially if she has been checked by a vet.
It could just be a strange habit or she may have some discomfort after using the litter tray or it could even be a marking behavior. The kitten is still quite young and if he is the only cat around he doesn't have any bother cats to take a lead from.
Unfortunately i do not have any advice to give, all i can say is that as long as it is not a medical condition then the behavior may diminish over time.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.