Cats/cat moving home

Question
hi, my aunt has recently moved home and is not allowed to take her one and a half year old cat with her so i have addopted him. he is used to being a outside cat. when would it be  safe for me to let him out, as i am worried that he will try to find his way back home. he has only been with me for 3 days. is there anything i can do to prevent him going back home. thanks for your help x

Answer
Hi
the recommended time to keep a cat in when it moves to a new home is about 3 weeks if at all possible. this gives the cat time to become familiar with his new home, pass his scent into it and to generally feel secure there. After which time the first time he is let out should be supervised. Ie go out and sit with him in the garden for a while, then try to get him to come back into the house with you. This will reaffirm that this is his home now.
However there are no guarantees that he will will not wander off, but as long as you have provide him with lots of affection, good food and a warm home then their is no reason to say he won't come back. My sisters cat wandered off for 9 days but he returned on his own.

Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth