Cats/feline vaginal smelly secretion

My 10 month old spayed cat has a strong smelling vaginal secretion that just started today.  The secretion is a yellowish gooey substance that smells a bit skunk like and slightly like feces - more skunky though. She seems to be eating and drinking a normal amount and does not appear to be feeling bad.  Is this an infection or could it be that a male has tried to mate with her?

That does not sound good at all, i would strongly recommend that you take her to the vet as it may be a problem that could have been caused by the spaying. This is rare but can be serious. Best not to take any chances.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.