Cats/inappropriate defecating and urinating

Hi Kate
We have recently adopted two female 8 year old sister cats. One is clearly more dominant, but is not overly aggressive towards the other. The problem we are having is that she urinates and defecates in the house. This is in addition to using the litter trays. We had isolated them to the utility and garden room for the first 4 days we had them until we were sure they could use the litter trays. It was only when we let them into the rest of the house that this problem became apparent. There is not one particular area, she has marked several different areas. We are at a loss what to do to eradicate this problem. We have contacted the shelter we bought them from but they were unable to offer any practical advice bar take them back. Any advice you could give us would be appreciated.

Russ and Heather

this as classic territory marking and your cat is trying to make herself feel at home as it were. I get many questions about this and there is never a one answer cures all solution I'm afraid. the best thing i can say is please read my pages about this behavior and also toilet training, it may give you some more background information and some possible solutions for your situation. i hope it works itself out in the end. Links for my pages at end of message,

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.