Cats/kitten info

Question
how old does a kitten have to be before it can become pregnant?
and if a kitten gets pregnant too young is it harmful?  

Answer
Hi, usually kittens can become pregnant as young as 6months old. It has been know for a few to become pregnant even younger. If you do want to breed from your cat then it is advisable to wait until they are at least 1 year old, mainly because your cat will be too young to know what to do with her kittens and teach them the very important early lessons only a mother cat can. If this is the case then you must make sure that she does not come into contact with male cats until then.

If you do not want her to breed then i would suggest that you have her spayed at 6mths but again keep her away from male cats until then.

I hope this has been helpful.

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Cats

Kate Tilmouth