Cats/meowing cat

Hi Kate.  My cat is just over year old and for the past days will not stop meowing.  It is not her normal meow but she doesn't seem to be in pain.  She has not been spayed and I'm wondering if she is in season.  She is a house cat but has escaped a few times recently.  Would love some help.

Kind regards

yes it does sound like your female cat is displaying the mating call. It is very distinctive and and be quite disturbing to a owner who has never experienced it before. It can sound like they are in pain but they are not they are calling to attract a male. She may also start to behave strangely in other ways. She may start to be more affectionate towards you and rubbing her self around you more than normal , she is spreading her scent. She may also go off her food.
There is nothing you can do except to have her spayed.

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.