Cats/missing cat

Hi, my 3 year old indoor cat somehow got out onto my back porch and wandered off sometime last night.  what are the odds of her coming back home when she has never been outside before?  i miss her a lot but i am more worried about how she is and what she is thinking. like is she scared? or is she actually having fun in the "big playground?" I have set her food bowl out with some food hoping that will help her find her way back, but i am not sure if that will help or not.  I also realized we had a doggy door so i propped it where it stays open (without the flap) thinking maybe when she is eating she will smell her litter box from the porch and see the way back into the house. I am just concerned for her and hoping she will come home. I definitely could use some insight!

I wouldn't worry to much at the moment, most cats have a natural instinct for the outside world and she has probably just gone off to explore it for herself.
My sisters cat came back after being missing for 9 days and he had only been inhis new home for 2 days, so it does go to show that they are very good at findng their way home again once they have had their full of the bog world.
I don't think your cat could have been scared as she would not have vbentured out if she was. Keep calling her every day and leaving food outside for her and i'm sure she will come home if she can.

Kate and her partner co-write  a site full of further cat care and cat health topics. As well as being a feline friendly community site for happy cat and a happy owner.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.