Cats/new kitten?

we have just acquired a new kitten who is very young just 5 weeks. but the mother was being neglected and the best interest of all was to re home. it was impossible to re home together so we have taken Maggie in. there has been no litter tray in the house and Maggie does not even appear to have had any attention spent on training or weaning. we have bought feeding syringes and KMR along with kitten dried food and kitten meat in jelly. we are syringe feeding her every couple of hours and she is showing signs of lapping, any advice would be helpful

Ah poor little thing. Yes it would have been too early for the kitten to have been taught by it's mother about toilet training etc. This is normally how kittens learn where to go to use the loo by watching their mother. So yes i;m afraid it will be down to you. I have included a couple of links to the bottom of this page which takes you to a couple of my pages, one for kitten care the other for toilet training. Good luck and i hope all goes well with your new kitten , I'm sure it will.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.