Cayman Islands/Best Grand Cayman Excursions

Hi John,

I'm travelling soon to the Grand Cayman Islands with my wife. We have many friends that have already gone over the last year and all of them recommended us doing the swim with stingrays at Stingray City. I have researched for the charters available for this tour and the one we seem to like the most is Acquarius Sea Tours. It's the one our friends used and they say it's better than the rest because they are smaller boats that pay more attention to customer satisfaction. Because we are going with my 6 year old daughter, we want very responsible staff when dealing with the stingrays so that she can get into the water too.
So, the question is, what do you think about them, would you recommend them to us? Do you have any other excusion that you woul recommend us to do?

Thanks on advance, Peter

Hi Peter - thanks for your question.  Congratulations on going to Cayman.  You'll love it.  Stingray city and sandbar are some of the most unique excursions anywhere.  I don't have any experience with that particular charter company you referenced, but, I agree that a smaller operation is better for more personal attention.  Scuba divers typically go to "city" as its between 1.5m and 3m deep, whereas the "sandbar" is shallow enough to stand in most places.  The stingrays are very playful and will fly around you, on you, over you to get the squid or whatever food you're feeding them.  You'll have a blast.  

Other excursions that your 6 yr old may enjoy would be the turtle farm on the North End, and there's a botanical park/garden in the middle of the island as well.  

Right off 7 mile beach, you can take sunset catamaran dinner/drink cruises and there's a pirate ship that goes out most nights that's a dinner/drink sunset cruise on an authentic reproduction pirate ship.  I've done it many times it's quite fun.  Check downtown Georgetown for tickets.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy Cayman

Cayman Islands

John Gump

I have spent months in Grand Cayman during 15 separate trips there and have come to know and love the people of this great Island. I used to be an owner of a condominium on Seven Mile Beach. I can answer questions about Grand Cayman including: - traveling to/from the island - hotels, restaurants, food in general - dive shops, dive sites, equipment purchase and repair - recreation including sight-seeing, tours, tour operators, beaches - cruises to Grand Cayman - Rum Point, Cayman Kai, Georgetown, East End, West Bay I cannot address questions related to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman

Throughout 15 visits to this island, I've accumulated months of time living there in a condo I used to own right on Seven Mile Beach.

B.S. Case Western Reserve University