Cayman Islands/Work Permit Fee

Question
Hello John.

My husband (UK citizen) has been accepted to work in the Cayman in March, and according to his contract, the work permit fee and health insurance premium will be deducted from his remuneration.

I read somewhere that employer is required to cover the work permit fee, and only allowed to ask for up to 50% pf health insurance premium to be recovered from the employee.

Please could you clarify if this is the case, and if so, is it worth asking them to amend the contract so that it states otherwise?

Many thanks in advance for your expert advise.

Answer
Hi Yoyo - thanks for your question.  I don't believe it's a requirement for an employer to cover the work permit fee, but this can be negotiated with the employer. I would double check with immigration to be sure of the facts as of February 2013, review your work contract to be sure it reflects the very latest in laws and if needed, work with the employer in Cayman to amend the terms.  Not the most specific answer, but the best advice in a situation like this as permits can be pricy!

Best to you,

John

Cayman Islands

John Gump