Celibacy/Abstinence/Abstaining bad for penis?

does it hurt your penis if you abstain too long?

Abstaining from ejaculation hurts your penis less than it does your prostate gland and other sexual glands.  The prostate needs to be emptied periodically.  Ejaculating less than once a week is probably going to be bad for the prostate.  Most younger males ejaculate about once a day.  Masturbating is the most common way to ejaculate.

The penis can be disaffected by not erecting often.  It is good for the penis for those tiny blood vessels to fill up and then empty.  Ejaculating is the healthiest way to get those blood vessels to drain.  

If you're abstaining, your sex organs would be happier and healthier if you ejaculated regularly.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

When it comes to celibacy/abstinence, I am more likely to point out the downside of being sexually abstinent. I don't advocate abstinence as a long-term sexual lifestyle. Abstinence is a good thing when the alternative is being sexual in an indiscreet manner, but it is a bad thing when a healthy sexual lifestyle of being monogamous with a partner is available. I frequently answer questions in the masturbation and male masturbation categories on I take all questions pertaining to sexuality.

I am a category expert in the sexuality area on and have written the web site for over thirteen years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.