Celibacy/Abstinence/Objective of confessing

Question
Hello Sir,

I am a 59-year old man with 7 months unbroken brahmacharya. My question involves repentance and forgiveness. In some Western religions, a person is expected to confess their sins to a priest in order to find forgiveness. On a secular level, individuals may be encouraged to discuss their moral errors with a therapist or counselor to relieve themselves of feelings of guilt. If a person talks about their pain or sins again and again, eventually the deep emotion around the pain will surface, tears will be shed, and the soul cleansed.

In Eastern spiritual writings, I have read that detailed discussion of moral transgressions can more deeply root the unhealthy images and thus karma.

My experience on this matter is unresolved. To a certain degree talking has helped. But I still carry around deep feelings of pain, fear, and guilt.

Is there anything you could share on this matter?

Thank-you for your kind assistance.

Ron

Answer
1. Releiving oneís pent up emotions, feelings or past actions through confession/discussion etc. with a person who is balanced, noble and in the right frame of mind helps the confessor unload the burden in his mind to some extent. The priest or counselor may in turn give some valuable suggestions as regards overcoming/facing the circumstances to aid the confessor get over his state of disturbance. This objective of reaching some solace is the basic principle behind confession at a Church. However, karma once accumulated has to be worked out. One cannot sidestep or negate its effects merely by accepting the mistake.

2. The world consists of various kinds of people, each of whom are in some state of disturbance, unrest and lack of harmony and equilibrium. All this is the result of working out of karma. The Atman (pure soul) which is the real us is ever at peace and in rocky steady equilibrium. Hence it follows that the state of unrest is a deviation from the reality of the Atman and not oneís true state. To reach the true state of reality, one has to eventually overcome all the karma that is in the way of such harmony. Spiritual practice consisting of Brahmacharya & Yoga with God devotion helps the Yogi ascend speedily towards this objective in a span of a few decades, while the non-Yogi needs many hundreds of lifetimes.

Simply persist in the described life with the required practices in an unbroken manner with consistency. In a few years, the results start to show and peace starts to envelop the Yogi. He slowly becomes unaffected by the pairs of opposites, realizing the world to be a stage where the drama directed by emotions create illusions which are nothing but unreal.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay