Celibacy/Abstinence/Meditation & Brahmacharya.

QUESTION: Namaskar Dear Dhananjay,

I am writing this query to you in the backdrop of the horrific end of a illfated girl brutally assaulted by misguided men under complete sway of animal lust.I feel sorry for the girl & more so ever for the men too who will now have to live under this horrendous sin's purview.

I have myself experienced the way lust affects our health,it is akin to slow death.

1)More than the men I think we need to blame the people/movies/serials/novels which promote objectification of opp sex & sensual pleasures & crucify saints who advocate rsing above them.
Those men just followed these ideas to the hilt,whereas so called civilised folks just suppress their motives in fear.Here I would like to ask what is the way out for people who have a huge reservoir of sexual energy but no guidance of a sage or wisdom.

2)Can you pls guide me on how to meditate on ajna/trikuti.
If i roll my eyes up after a few seconds I'm unable to keep them in such a state.I have heard shambhavi mudra(focussing b/w eyebrows) is very effective in stilling the mind & results are evident within a day.Can you pls elaborate on this mudra.
I believe success in meditation is a must for brahmacharya.
Personally I'm finding it difficult to choose b/w fixing by dhyana on anhata/ajna or kurma(breath).

Waiting in earnest for your expert advise as always.

ANSWER: 1. Every Jiva eventually comes to the path of true knowledge. Since one's real nature is essentially divine, the dross is eventually shaken off after much suffering. This is the purpose of creation.

2. Success in meditation occurs when certain past Samskara-s (impressions) & Vasana-s (tendencies) blocking the same vacate further to an honest Yogic lifestyle (with all the yogic practices described) by the grace of the Lord. Hence one should perform rigorous ‘Sadhana’ (practice) with unbroken Brahmacharya, keeping self-realization alone as the objective. There is nothing beyond one’s Atman (true-self).

'Shambhavi Mudra' refers to looking at the tip of the nose with both eyes focused (with no other thought but that of the Lord) before meditation. It is not a must but optional. Some people find it useful to develop focus while others do not.

Sit in Padmasana or Sidhasana after Asana, Bandha, Nâdi Shodhana & Pranayama with the spine & head erect. Focus at the ‘Thrikuti’ (between the eyebrows) with the eyes closed. Assume the empty space which results as the infinite universe occupied by the formless & infinite Lord. Tell yourself – “This body, mind, Ego and the world of objects is unreal and false being Anatma (non-self). I am the infinite and all pervading, formless Atman no different from the formless & blissful Lord who occupies all space and time.” Remind yourself of this true Atmic state every time thoughts arise or the mind wanders. Bring the mind back to this state free from other thoughts.

When such efforts are performed daily with a life of Yoga & unbroken Brahmacharya for a few years, the thought – “I am meditating” alone remains in this empty reality. All other thoughts disappear and one takes flight into this expanse. One is not conscious of his body here but thinks himself to be the mind (or pure Ego) in meditation. This is ‘Savikalpa Samadhi’.

When even the ‘I-awareness’ (I-thought) disappears and consciousness completely merges into the Atman with no awareness of even the mind it is ‘Nirvikalpa Samadhi’ (absolute super-consciousness). This state of void cannot be described, for there is no mind there. It has to be experienced. It is pure Sat-Chit-Ananda. The mind merges into the Atman and consciousness withdraws completely from the Anatma (non-self) to merge into the Atman (pure-self). He will then neither be aware of his body, nor his mind or the surroundings. He cannot hear any sound or feel touch. His breathing itself stops followed by stoppage of the internal organs in course of time (though he does not know any of this). Then the Yogi occupies the entire universe and beyond in union with the Lord. He is in his state of true self, as the true self. The Yogi who reaches Nirvikalpa Samadhi is not reborn on the physical plane.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Dear Dhananjay,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

-->You have mentioned when yogi's consciousness completely merges into atman he becomes unaware of his body/mid/surroundings then what is he aware of or is this unconsciousness .
-->This seems to point to the fact that he just exists as a observer/knower without a choice/will.Seems like a restricted state to be in but at same time your words inspire me to get to it as it is free from wordly troubles.

Can you pls elaborate the nature of that state so that ordinary minds can get an idea & strive for it.I am aware that experience can't be put into words but still can you give a reply w.r.t the above points.

1. That infinite substratum on which are reflected the imaginary body, mind and the world is the Atman (reality). The Yogi is then the Atman alone in a complete state of awareness of the reality, as the reality. He is in the state of the self as the pure self. This concept cannot be understood without direct experience.

2. Where is the question of restriction in the state of liberation? It is the body, mind and the Ego which are the restrictions. The concept of free will exists only for these three images and not to the Atman who is beyond action & inaction, one with the endless ocean of Brahman (Almighty). There is no restriction or limitation once these three are transcended. He is then the infinite Atman alone in that state free from blemish.

3. It is neither possible nor does it make any sense to try and describe that state, the Supreme state of states. One should taste it through direct experience that comes after much effort to the sincere Yogi by the grace of the Great Lord, that Supreme infinite being without a second who pervades all space, time & beyond.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidyâ' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in 'Âsana' or physical postures is not Yoga. Âsana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, Âsana, Prânâyâma, Pratyâhâra, Dhârana, Dhyâna and Samâdhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.