Celibacy/Abstinence/Avoiding certain vegetables

My dear Dhananjay Sir

I am very happy about the God's play by introduce me with this site and You. By some month practice I noticed my prana become steady in all situations of my life. I'm in Kerala and I took Ayyappa vrata, One day at the time of having my food , one swami told me to avoid drum stick and ladies finger(vegetables) from food bz it effect brahmacharya, is it true? if so what is its reason

Sarwam Khalvidham Brahman

1. Till the completion of a few years of unbroken practice, certain very strong base Vasana-s and Samskara-s remain active. These are powerful enough to break the practice and make the aspirant deviate. Certain kinds of vegetables (such as onion & garlic - predominant in Rajasic & Tamasic vibrations) have the possibility of stimulating such karmic impressions. For this reason, the beginner is advised to try & avoid the same.

However, it might sometimes not be possible to strictly follow this rule (due to the nature of work, non-availability outside etc.) At such times, the way out is to continue adhering to correct Yogic practice and consume whatever is available with the thought – “I consume this food for sustenance to carry out the Dharma bestowed on me by the Lord. OM”.

2. Occasional consumption of drumstick or ladies finger for health will not cause any problem.

3. Once the aspirant becomes advanced and develops ‘Rtambhara Prajna’ (truth bearing wisdom) further to mastering ‘Sabija samadhi’ he will himself know what to eat and what to avoid through the power of divine intuition.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidyâ' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in 'Âsana' or physical postures is not Yoga. Âsana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, Âsana, Prânâyâma, Pratyâhâra, Dhârana, Dhyâna and Samâdhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.