Celibacy/Abstinence/Brahmacharya & Divya Sharira

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dhananjay,

I have heard & read in scriptures that a living entity's life can be measured exactly by the no. of his heartbeAts or his cycles of breath & that it is predetermined at birth.If it is so then how can practising brahmacharya strengthen a body debilitated by loss of veerya if it is anyways going to be ravaged by time & lead to death.

Although there are cases of yogis living for hundreds & thousands of years,I know that they have achieved this through suspension of their breath/heart-beat while in samadhi.

Dhanvantari says "Brhmacharya can UNDO all inauspiciousness"

Also you  have mentioned in many posts that an urdhvareta acquires a divine & perfected body free from decay & death.If this is true then that body can't be brought to death by any disease or decay but only by some other accidents right?

ANSWER: 1. You want to travel to another city. There is a road leading to this city. There are a few other roads that lead elsewhere. Which road will you choose? You will choose the road that leads to the destination. Suppose you say – “What happens is destiny and hence pre-determined. I will choose any road I like” and take the wrong road that does not lead to the destination; what happens then? You do not reach the place you want to but find youself somewhere else. You will then have to take the trouble of coming all the way back and restart your journey from the start point.

The purpose of the human birth is to know one’s self. Till this objective is not attained, one has to strive rightly and alertly on the right road. He cannot say –“I will take any road”. If he does, he alone suffers, for that is what is pre-destined as per destiny. Brahmacharya is the road that leads to the self. Hence the wise take to this path and practice sincerely.

2. The ‘Divya Sharira’ (divine body) attained from Yoga is immune to bodily illnesses and not karmic illnesses, for none can side-step karma. It only means that such a person does not suffer debility, disease or death from the effects of ageing of the body, unlike others. It does not mean that his body will not show the normal signs of age such as grey hair or hairfall. It only implies that he will be free from the debility or degeneration that comes further to degradation of the physical medium as in case of the non-Yogi.

That which is born has to die. The body has a beginning and hence also an end. When the karma that the Jiva has to work through the physical medium out gets over, the body is discarded. It is the Atman (self) alone that is beyond birth and death. It alone is the truth, the self and the absolute reality. The body is only a temporary covering which gets free from debility further to attaining the ‘Divya Sharira’ which rests on the foundation of Brahmacharya.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Dear Dhananjay,

Thanks for prompt reply.

But I still don't seem to get the difference your'e trying to point out between a yogi & a non yogi's body.Is the difference only a matter of time.If a yogi's body also will show normal signs of age that is debilitation only right?

Also in point 2 you have said body becomes immune to bodily illness but not karmic illness.Aren't all illness' source karmic only?

Surely there would be a fundamental difference brought about in an urdhvareta's body as is energy is flowing upwards & a neophytes downwards.

An urdhvareta should be at peak of strength & power??

Answer
1. In one who has attained the 'Divya Sharira', degeneration stops. When all the internal, external organs and senses are in perfect order, it might be said that there is no debility. Graying of hair or hair fall is a sign of age and not debility as these do not affect the health or strength of the person (as is seen in some bald, grey haired people who are extremely strong and in perfect health). Hence the signs of age are not necessarily the signs of debility, just as the signs of debility need not be due to age (as in young people who are weak and lack vitality).

2. Every occurring that the bodily undergoes is finally the result of one's own karma. Hence any illness is the effect of karma. The term 'Karmic illness' here refers that those illnesses that are the result of surfacing of past karma that might date back to actions committed in the past  or in previous births. The term 'Bodily illness' refers to the effect of some recent activity (ex. say consumption of unclean food which leads to a stomach upset) which is showing immediate result. Bodily illnesses are generally milder and last for a short time; while Karmic illnesses can be more severe.

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay