Celibacy/Abstinence/Attachment and God

Question
Dear Dhananjay, I would like to start out by offering my most humble and sincere gratitude for sharing your divine wisdom. I have been in the process or cultivating "vairaghya" (detachment). By the grace of the almighty, I am seeing some success. But as I move further along the path, I am beginning to fear devotional thoughts towards God because I feel it might cause me to slip further into attachment. On one hand, I have never experienced a higher bliss than surrendering my ego to the lord with love and humility. On the other hand, great teachers like Buddha suggest to never become attached to anything, not even the idea of god. (so I have read). I am fully aware that god is the only truth and I wish to show my devotion. My question is what is the correct attitude when cultivating devotion, humility, submission and love for the almighty?

Sahil

Answer
Can you separate space from space? You might enclose it in a container, yet, it still occupies the container, which occupies space. You can only add a layer or covering around space which appears to contain it. You cannot separate it from space. Whatever you try to do, you only succeed in making compartments around it, while space always remains in space.

The Atman (self) is like space, which is always in space (Lord), being an integral part. Even if you do not want it, you are already attached to the Lord. There is nothing separate from HIM, HE pervading everything, just as everything you see is in space. So the question of separation is invalid. The question of presence or lack of attachment with HIM is invalid. You are always merged in HIM. The question of maintaining separation does not arise.

The only thing you can do is work at breaking the layers obstructing the merger of the space in the container with the space outside. In this case, it is the 'Agnyana' (ignorance) surrounding the Atman which is acting like a container. This container is what is called the 'Ego' - which is making you imagine you are separate and God is separate. When you break it, then the space within merges with the space outside. Then there is only space. Even earlier, the space within was inside the space without. You imagined it to be separate, while that was not the reality.

So it is most beneficial to develop a sense of attachment as regards God. The only thing required is to strive at breaking the imaginary container called the 'Ego', following which you realize that you were always free and 'seperation' was an imagination.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay