Celibacy/Abstinence/Significance of hair

QUESTION: Namaste Dhanajay ji,

I see lot of saints with long hair and our ancestors are shown with long hair even in tv series except Brahmins with a single log hair.

Please put some light on this, i am not trimming my mustache this time. Does our facial, head and other parts play any role?

ANSWER: 1. As one evolves and gets closer to the self, the need for hair reduces, for then, one is able to receive direct knowledge from the Atman (self) to a larger extent.

In case of animals, the knowledge of the self is non-existent. Instinct ensures survival. This is the reason animals have much hair. Hair acts as an antenna to receive signals from the environment to ensure survival. Hair is therefore like an extended sensory system.

2. During the initial years of Sadhana, keeping head, facial & bodily hair acts as a protective mechanism and is helpful to practice. After many years of advancement, the need for hair reduces and one slowly overcomes such need or dependence which is a carry forward from animal lives.

One need not worry about hair as the body regulates itself and decides whether it needs hair or not.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: So what would you advice for a beginner like me? SHall i keep my hair and let them grow long? When i talked to my mother she wasn't happy. But there are few things for which one must take a stand irrespective of opposition.

All these are external things (concerning the body which is the non-self) which one should not spend much thought on. Simply focus on Sadhana to know the self with devotion & surrender to the Lord. HE will decide how much hair should be grown or not grown and you will automatically comply with the same.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.