Celibacy/Abstinence/Timings & duration of practice

Hi Sir,

I have been going through your column since a month and i am extremely satisfied with your answers for many queries. I don't know if this is the right way to present this Question- Is it advisable to practice yoga at home with out a Guru? how many hours do I need to practice in a day? I work in night shifts, please suggest a best time to practice yoga. Your quick response will be much appreciated.

I regret for any mistakes or inconvenience caused.

Take up the practice of Brahmacharya with the Yogic methods & lifestyle suggested in past answers during any two Sandhi kala-s of the day which are convenient to your work timings. Practicing all the said methods correctly is what matters & not the no. of hours. Within a few months of such efforts, the practice will become a way of life.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.