Celibacy/Abstinence/Attraction & age barrier for urdhvareta.

Namaste Dear Dhananjay,

I have 3 questions as below troubling me.I'm not sure if these have been covered before & would please request you to enumerate on same if done in past again.

1)If a member of opposite sex is of righteous conduct/spiritual/dharmic & mumukshu along with being beautiful isn't attracion towards them justifiable?If not then how are we supposed to overcome same.I try to develop the motherly bhava towards them but it doesn't work all time.

2)I manage now with 2 to 4 weeks of strict brahmacharya without even an iota of slippage in word & deed with minimal transgressions in thought.But after say 2 weeks I start getting attracted to every beautiful face(not exactly lust but romantic love sorts) & frustration & dejection break my will.Please help on this I'm fed up of going in circles.

3)Also Swami sivananda says that practise of brahmacharya should begin before 32 yrs of age.But medical opinion says that semen production is continous in men till death.If this is so then why the age barrier,shouldn't some time later say around 50 if a man is relatively healthy can't he try to be an urdhvareta,maybe time required will be more than when young.

Thanks & waiting in earnest for your reply.

May all be atmanishta.

1. The purpose of attraction is to bring man and woman together for matrimony that leads to progeny. Those wishing welfare, happiness and eventually liberation limit its validity to this purpose within marriage and not more. Hence the appearance or nature of a woman is not a reason to let attraction develop into something more serious.

What is the source of the seen beauty? It is the Atman or the Lord and not the body/mind. Hence those wishing enjoyment of such beauty should strive to know their Atman (self), following which endless beauty and bliss become one's residual state. Strive to know your self which is the greatest and most ecstatic source of bliss. The beauty of the most beautiful woman or the pleasure of sex cannot equal even a fraction of this bliss.

2. If your Sadhana (practice) is honest, consistent and full of devotion as described in past answers, you will eventually overcome this vicious circle by HIS grace.

3. What is your objective? Is it correlation of modern medicine with Yoga Sadhana or is it gaining knowledge of who you are? Do not waste your time & resources on theoretical queries which are of no avail. Focus only on that which is required to realize the self, setting aside all other hypothetical discussions. All these queries will get answered by themselves at the right time if your Sadhana is correct and consistent.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.