Celibacy/Abstinence/Brahmacharya in Women

QUESTION: Hi Dhananjay Sir,

In one of your older posts, you have mentioned that Women too lose equal amount of energy as men do when indulged in sexual activity or through sexual fantasies. Now my question is- In general menstruation is normal phenomena in every women that occurs every month. How far it is true that they lose their energy when it is a normal cycle in their body? If so, What about a child when menstruating for the first time? Does it mean she fantasized someone or has indulged in sexual activity? How about a young widow who lost her husband is in a state of depression but still menstruate every month? How about Nuns who are dedicated to God for their entire life but still menstruate?

Yes..I do agree they face severe irritation, pain in abdomen during that period.But,I have also seen some cases where women visit doctors complaining about irregular periods which resulted in health complications and doctor prescribing medicines for regular cycles? How about health complications after Menopause stage? Please forgive if I asked you a stupid/Irrelevant question but your answer is very important to me or maybe many. Thanks much..

ANSWER: 1. Ageing is also a 'normal' occurance. Does one not become weak and degenerate by the process? The nature of the body is degradation. This is slowed down by Brahmacharya when Bindu (seed) is retained up in the higher region and menstruation/wet dreams stop after attaining to Urdhvarethas.

2. Menstruation starts upon attaining to puberty for procreation. It stops when the Yogi after much efforts becomes an Urdhvarethas and not before. Marital status etc. have no connection with the same.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Thank you!

My wife and me we both are thinking to practice Brahmacharya so thought of getting rid of these doubts from our minds.Please advice.  

Little confused- Here man is conserving his Semen/Energy by strict practice of brahmacharya in thoughts, words and deeds on a daily basis. So, how would energy is conserved in women during such practice on a daily basis when there is no Rajaveerya released within their body cuz it is only released after sexual activity or fantasizing?  

It means it is common that women tend to lose energy during menstruation until they attain the stage of Urdhvaretha? Can you please enlighten us little more on this? Thanks again!

1. Simply practice the suggested Sadhana for a few years without expectation and with much patience and devotion to God. It is not necessary to know any of these theoretical details. If the practice is correct, real knowledge eventually comes from within.

2. A part of the 'Raja Veerya' is lost in the monthly menstrual cycle which is the result of the downward flow of 'Bindu' that starts upon puberty. Even in the absence of lustful thoughts, wet dreams in men/menstruation in women does not stop as long as the downward flow of Bindu is not stopped & reversed permanently. That occurs only upon reaching Urdhvarethas.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.