I wish to know if masturbating of the vagina will lead to the hymen being broken.  Does masturbating of the clitoris pose such a danger?

Masturbating internally (in the vagina) with fingers or objects tends to destroy the hymen.  Females who are concerned about keeping their hymens intact are better off masturbating externally, by stimulating the clitoris.  Masturbating the clitoris does not affect the hymen.

Doug Adams, Ph.D.

When it comes to celibacy/abstinence, I am more likely to point out the downside of being sexually abstinent. I don't advocate abstinence as a long-term sexual lifestyle. Abstinence is a good thing when the alternative is being sexual in an indiscreet manner, but it is a bad thing when a healthy sexual lifestyle of being monogamous with a partner is available. I frequently answer questions in the masturbation and male masturbation categories on AllExperts.com. I take all questions pertaining to sexuality.

I am a category expert in the sexuality area on AllExperts.com and have written the web site HealthyStrokes.com for over thirteen years.

I have a Ph.D. in a field unrelated to sexuality from one of the leading educational institutions of the world.