QUESTION: Hi Dhananjaya
i am 44 and have recently for the past year followed a path of abstinence. Its sad to say that  spent most of my youth wasting away my vital reserves. However in the past one year since i have started abstinence i have been beset with health problems such as unusual weight gain that i cant seem to get rid,of even after working out. Also haveswelling in ankles and feet, hurting knees. Before i started abstinence i was of relatively good health with minor health problems. I do not question the importance of abstinence or its connection to my poor health. I am attributing my poor health to the aging process, However i wondered if i was suffering from some kind of hormonal imbalance as i experience sudden changes in body temperatures.I do not meditate as much as i should but hopefully i can take up meditation assiduously in the future. Please advise if i could be this could be a result of some kind of hormone imbalance associated with abstinence?

ANSWER: The first few years of Brahmacharya involve various reactions and changes at the physical & mental levels. The body which has degenerated further to seminal wastage slowly starts throwing out toxins and recuperates. Various changes that never occurred earlier kick in. Simply ignore all these and adhere to honest Brahmacharya with the suggested methods correctly. In a few years time, everything will stabilize.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: Hi Dhananjaya
I have been an initiate on the path of Surat Shabad yoga for over 20 years. Needless to say i did not devote any time to my spiritual pursuit choosing worldly life over spiritual matters. However i have always known deep in my heart that the road to salvation began with true bhramacharya. Despite my attempts over the years to practise bhramacharya i have miserably failed . Last year the almighty bestowed on me the grace to be able to practise bhramacharya for a year so far. At about he same time i also stumbled upon khechari through some intervention as well. I am not an adept at either pranayam, kriya nor meditation however i am familiar with the different yoga systems. In any case after i practised khechari briefly before I forgot all about it . Now after a year i have remembered it again on some whim and made decent progress where i can touch my uvula but am unable to breakthrough past the uvula. i have not cut my frenulum to achieve it . However my question is that whenever i extend my tongue backward i feel a faint tug at my heart. Sometimes on my right and sometimes on my left side of my chest depending upon the left or right area of my uvula that i am probing? i have also been discharging phlegm. Should i discontinue this practice because i have read that the vidya is more important than the practice itself as the practise is the physical form of true knowledge of khechari. Is is fairly common to have these tugs in the chest?.
thanking you

ANSWER: To merge your mind in the self so that nothing but the self exists, devoid of all thought is what is important and not more. Your physical and astral bodies are not at the level of purity required for 'Khechari'. Cleanse these through the tenets of Yoga & unbroken Brahmacharya for a few years, following which the benefits of Khechari will come by themselves.

ॐ तत् सत्

QUESTION: Hi Dhananjay
Thank you for your earlier responses. I appreciate your replies as they help direct the course of my life. I have one more question in regards to khechari. In your earlier response you had asked me to immerse my mind in my self. Due to constant khechari, i have been doing it without conscious thought. As earlier said i have not cut my tongue frenulum However my tongue frenulum has developed a blister ( which is not painful) and the frenulum has started to fray allowing the tongue to reach further inwards. Should i consciously refrain from khechari and allow it to heal up as its not ripped all the way as yet. Please counsel. And i also wanted to thank you for your enlightened advices which light the way ahead for fellow travellers on the royal road of the pranas

Efforts for 'Khechari' should be gradual and never hurried by those who aspire for the practice. If success in the practice is destined, the Lord himself helps the aspirant advance. Hence remain neutral and let the Lord show the way.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.