Celibacy/Abstinence/Energy & the Lord

Dear Brother Dhananjay,

I would like to seek clarification on certain points after reading through your article:

a) You mentioned brahmacharya is followed to preserve energy, which is needed for enlightenment. However, I have noticed that you mentioned that the energy we accumulate from brahmacharya must be expended through exercise. I do not understand this contradiction.
- On one hand, we are striving to accumulate energy for enlightenment, but on the other hand you are saying we should exercise to expend it. If we are going to waste energy by exercising, then how can we attain enlightenment?

b) You mentioned if energy from brahmacharya is developed in the body, it will become tamasic if not expended in productive things. How can energy become tamasic? Energy itself is meant to energize isnt it? How can energy that is not applied correctly make someone lethargic and weak?

c) What does yoga/hinduism says about lending money or materials to people? Is it a sin if we do not lend money to friends if they are in need, or is it just wisdom not to lend money to friend since its known the money will not come back?

d) I have heard the saying that God does everything. If we sin, doesn't it mean God is also doing it? If Ego does something thinking that it is the doer, then God can't be doing everything isnt it?

e) Why does God remain silent when we are committing a sin, like masturbation? If he is all powerful, why doesn't he stops the very action on the spot and save the person from committing a sin? Why let the poor being commit the sin, let him go through the consequences and bring him further to sin and extend samsara. Is God a saddist?

Pls excuse me if my questions are crude. But I believe they are valid questions which have been bothering me for a long time. Hope you could grant us with an insight.

Thank you.

1. A beginner cannot apply all the conserved energy on meditation for Enlightenment alone. His Samskara-s will not permit it. Hence the energy conserved is used for various constructive activities which help strengthen the mind & body.

2. It is not the energy which becomes tamasic but one's ignorance which tends the body & mind towards tamas (inertia). Under such circumstances, the same energy works negatively.

3. If you do your Dharma correctly, you know when to give and when not to give. Help can be given to those who deserve the same and are hence eligible to receive it. Help, when given should be with a selfless attitude, not assuming doership, only to those who deserve.

4. The Sun is the source of light. Suppose you pass Sunlight through a piece of red colored glass, is the Sun responsible for the resulting red light or the glass? It is obviously the glass, for the Sun does not give out red light. It is the nature of the red glass to produce red light. Yet it is the light of the Sun which is passing through the glass. However, it is the red glass which is responsible for the red light, and not the Sun who is the source.

The same holds good as regards the Lord (source) and the Jiva (individual). The Lord forever gives out his power that passes through the glass called the individual. As the individual loses his Ego & becomes that much purer, more of the divine power shines through him in its true form. When the individual attains to his self and is fully enlightened, he is like a clear glass which transmits clear Sunlight.

Thus it is the individual who is responsible for all his actions till he loses his Ego completely and becomes the clear glass, though God alone is the doer.

5. It is for the glass to change its color and not the Sun. Why blame the Sun when the glass is red? Hence it is for us to persevere in killing the Ego. That is the only Dharma. The all merciful Lord however goes a step further and creates situations where we are made to realize our mistakes and given a chance to correct them.

Who now is the Sadist? The individual who ignores the great Lord and repeats the same mistakes or the Lord who is forever helping you realize the self and thereby ensure your welfare?

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.