Celibacy/Abstinence/Fear of closed spaces

Hello Sir,

Yesterday I was riding in a train similar to a subway. The train stopped for a few minutes in a tunnel  between stations. During this stop I was gripped with a terrible fear related to being locked in a closed compartment with no escape. I have experienced this fear many times on buses, trains, elevators, and airplanes. Not while riding in them but when they have stopped but have not opened the doors. It takes all of my strength not to go into a full panic. In this situation, I feel like I am about to go insane. Any suggestions on how to get through this situation?

1. 'Claustrophobia' (fear of being trapped in closed spaces), is common among many people and nothing to be worried about. It is an animal instinct carried over from previous births.

2. To the spiritually advanced man who has come very close to knowing the self, the problem vanishes, for he then does not identify himself with his body (which has been locked in) but has realized the infinity of his self as all-pervading and limitless.

At times like this, take a few deep breaths & simply go into meditation, realizing that you are the formless Atman (self) occupying the infinite universe, the one who cannot be contained and is ever free. That you are not the body which is insentient & limited. As such knowledge gets established and the Ego subsides, you will be calm and composed even if locked inside a box without the least fear.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.