Celibacy/Abstinence/Karma & time of Self Realization

Hi Dhananjay garu,

In one of your older posts, you have mentioned that "Inevitable perseverance in Brahmacharya is an indication that there are countable numbers of births remaining for the Jiva in this ocean and that the process of working for the release which is not very far away has begun". Are you referring the above statement to only one birth? Suppose, if we are unable to succeed in brahmacharya in this birth because of our bad karma, will this help us achieve in next birth or Is it still be achieved in the same birth in spite of these hurdles? My confusion here is if one want to practice brahmacharya, will his past bad karmas affect his practice and prevent him from Self Realisation? Will this continue in the coming births? how can one know whether he would born again as human being? Can you please enlighten us more on this Topic? I have only found you to be the best to answer these questions and I don't think anyone i knew would answer them. Kindly, forgive this layman for any mistakes. Thanks a ton!

1. 'Countable births' might be this very birth or a few more.

2. If your are unable to realize your self in this existence, then the efforts applied will continue from the level attained. Efforts applied in the path of self-realization are carried over to successive births until liberation is finally attained. When the Jiva is ripe for eternal release, liberation occurs.

3. Do not worry about past karma. That is not of any concern to you. What is important is to perform the right 'Nishkamakarma' now (efforts applied for liberation without desire as a service to the Lord) without attachment for the fruits. Then the past karma gets worked out in the course of time.

4. When you come close to realizing your self, you will know the past, present and future which are illusory images on the eternal Atman. Hence first work to realize your self.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.