Celibacy/Abstinence/Why is realization so tough?

Even when we come to know that we are atman,ever free,ever pure,why do we lust after material things?
I am asking this because I have tried everything to keep up my brahmacharya but have always failed...please tell me why don't we identify ourselves with pure atman even after getting to know?

Someone tells you that fire burns and you know the same. However, until you are burnt by fire, there is no realization. There is no direct experience. Similarly, you know you are the Atman after having read some material. But you have not realized it and hence the ignorance. There is not yet direct experience. So you continue in the realm of ignorance. This is why one should apply honest Sadhana and persevere till the self is irreversibly realized.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.