Celibacy/Abstinence/Deeds for merit vs Yoga

Hello sir,

I would like to ask a question. Is that true that good deeds are more appreciated by God than contemplation or meditation itself? Ive read this is a way of acquiring merit to be closer to God. But since India is the country which had the oldest spirituality which has produced the higher numbers of saints or holy person with siddhis powers in history can you tell me if with yoga you acquire merit too? Other religions say good deeds is more important than training the mind in concentration. If this was true how is it that many hermit attained Nirvana and possessed siddhis in large numbers? Training the mind depends on you and good deeds if you are a beggar is almost impossible... I hope you understand what I mean.

1. To whom does merit concern? To the Ego. You, the Atman (pure self) are beyond merit & demerit, being a part of the matchless Supreme. Hence one should never perform good deeds with the thought -"I will acquire merit by doing so". Doing it only strengthens the Ego and Agnyana (ignorance).

The attitude should be to perform a particular activity by surrendering the fruits of such actions to God and never to oneself. The attitude should be -"God performs these good deeds through my mind and body which are only mediums. I do not do anything, being the mere witness. Hence the question of merit or demerit does not concern me".

2. Good deeds done without the 'I-ness' (i.e by not taking credit) alone are appreciated by God and not those done for merit or some other benefit.

3. There is no activity higher or greater than contemplation/meditation on one's Atman (self), carried out to realize the self. Merit, which is due comes by itself to such a true Yogi who however does not care for it, knowing it to be a matter concerning the Ego and not his true self.

One should let go of the Ego which is concerned with these impermanent benefits and strive to realize one's self. This is the purpose of the human birth.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.