Celibacy/Abstinence/Transmutation, alcohol etc.

Disregarding the fact that I do meditate and clear my mind with the methods you've prescribed, I am wondering what the difference is in the rewards of celibacy/brahmacharya with and without a transmutation method.

Also, how would occasional (say, once a month) indulgence in alcohol and/or marijuana affect my accrued energy reserves (keerya, prana, ojas, tejas)? Including my practice altogether, if there are extended negative effects of marijuana.

I run 2 miles daily. I'm working up to 3-4 miles daily if I can achieve the goal. Is this too much exercise? Or is there a such thing? Also, is this as effective of a transmutation method as meditation?

In advance, thank you very much for helping us all out with such a great resource!!

1. Without effective transmutation of the vital power into higher domains, so as to remove the ignorance surrounding the soul, Brahmacharya fails in due course.

What is Brahmacharya? To eventually reside as the pure self without least identification with the body or mind is Brahmacharya and nothing else.

2. If you practice Brahmacharya honestly to realize your self, there will eventually be no urge or slavery towards anything external to appease your mind or body. One becomes content in the self by the self without the least need for anything external. Such independence leads to the greatest strength, peace and eventually liberation.

3. Any indulgence in drugs or alchohol will cause an impediment to well being. Brahmacharya dissolves into nothing. Hence it should be completely avoided.

4. Adequate physical and mental activity coupled with meditation on the self are the prerequisites during the initial years. There is no need for excessive physical strain, which rather becomes detrimental in the long run. Exercise should be moderate and enjoyable and never a torture. There isn't much gained by pushing oneself to the limits on the physical plane. Instead, the same energy should be channelized towards Yogic practices, self control and meditation.

Physical activity cannot substitute meditation. In meditation, you overcome consciousness of the body & the mind and try to be the pure self, the only truth.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.