Celibacy/Abstinence/Lord Krishna & Avatar-s

Question
Hello I would like to know more about Krishna. I am very interested in mythology but very confused about the excessive complexity of the myths compared to let say other books like the Quran or Christian Bible which are chronological.

1-Does Hindus believe Krishna really existed as a human being, as for example Muhammad or Jesus for Christians and Muslims respectvely? For Christians and Muslims, their respective prophets really existed and their life were not mythical but real, same with the Sakyamuni Buddha or Guru Nanak who's existence are proved. So they make a distinction between myths or fables and biographies of what they believed really occured to their particular sages included their miracles, but about miracles I wont talk because its personal belief of an individual. So its more like a biography.

2-What an Avatar represents in myths? I dont think avatars existed as physical beings, perhaps spiritual beings. For example some Vishnu Avatars had fish features, another tortoise features, another lion features. Does this means something in particular?

All the questions are not to offend, I could ask the same thing about other mythologies like Greek or Japanese with their heroes and gods.

Thank you

Answer
1. Lord Krishna is a direct 'Avatar' (manifestation) of the Supreme who took a human form.

Every living being is also a manifestation of the Lord. What then is the difference? In case of a direct Avatar as in Lord Krishna, there is no 'Agnyana' (ignorance). Consciousness always resides as the universal self without the Ego. So it is the Lord having taken a form and yet not having the least ignorance. This cannot be said of the normal man who identifies with his Ego. Upon self-realization and eventually liberation, the same man reverts to Godhead (his true self).

2. An Avatar can take any form it likes. It is as real as anybody else. The body taken may be physical or astral. These different animals, each represent a particular quality at the symbolic level which the Avatar wishes to convey.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay