Celibacy/Abstinence/Siddhi-s for social service

Sir, I have read you before saying that wanting Siddhi-s is a waste of time and the workings of the Ego, but what if I desire some kind of Siddhi but not for personal gain but for something higher than myself? For example my country is being "raped" by corrupts and criminals that got themselves all the powers and all the military and "justice" institutions, they intimidate us and want to cling to that power no matter the cost, my people suffer and I can hear my country cry in desperation. I pray every day and do some penances in the name of my country, and I wish I had some kind of "power" so that my praying gets at leat heard and all these criminals pay soon for all what they have done... or should I not worry and not try to interfere with all this karma my country is facing?

That 'I' which you refer to is itself the distorted Ego, the embodiment of falsity. The pure soul being a part of the Lord is all knowing and does not 'wish' for anything. It moves in tandem with divine will. The state of a country or the world is a part of the Lord's Leela (divine play) as is everything else. Every occurrence has a purpose and is not accidental. HE who plans these things has done so with a reason. It is through suffering that people realize their errors and make amends.

Know this much and strive to realize your self first. For now, focus on this prerequisite. He who wishes to serve 'others' should first be a master of himself. Without knowing who you are, without perfect self-control and without awareness of the will of the higher power you will not succeed in serving the country or its people.

Real service to humanity or the world can be rightly performed after the individual Ego is gone and the self irreversibly realized. A mind not connected to Divine will cannot understand what is right and wrong, let alone service. It looks at things objectively, as separate from itself. Hence one should first overcome the Ego.

Every individual is answerable to Divine law. The laws of karma apply to all. No wrong doer is let to escape. Knowing this much, one should persevere in one's Dharma as willed by HIM. Then one will reach the stage where he is fully capable of 'Real service' to humanity. Even if you do not want it, the higher power will make you the tool to impart such service.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.