Celibacy/Abstinence/No sex?

I am 55. In god general health, but taking medications for depression and hypertension. In the last few years my desire fpr sex has doiminished to almost nothing. I hardlt turn my head to look at a gals well turned body anymore. When I was in my 20's and 30's I was a sex maniac!
Is this normal? My wife is fine without it-she was neve had much desire to begin with. I am actually thankfull for this, as I know some men would be divorced por their lack of 'performance'.
Should I consider Viagra? Or just be fat and happy and getting old like I am now?
BTW I am exercising and eating better and looking better, but by no means a stud.

Yes it is normal that your sex drive has diminished, so don't worry. If you are taking a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) for your depression, this may impact your desire as well.

Don't take Viagra unless you have been diagnosed with erectile dysfunction.

It is good that you are exercising and trying to look your best, but don't EVER settle for "fat and happy." Always stay sharp: reading and writing will help cognitive function, which will make you happy for the right reasons. Talk to your doctor about a fitness regimen. Exercise is also important for happiness. Stay away from excessive sugary drinks and fried foods.

Canada has the brightest future of any nation on earth, and you should be proud!

Take care  

Anthony Tarquinto

I can answer any questions about mental and emotional issues with regards to abstinence. We all know that there are times in our lives when we will not be able to engage in sex. There are psychological ways to condition both the mind and body to suppress the desires (without permanent harm), which can lead to a lifetime of fulfillment in other areas of life. Sex addiction is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, where the brain is "addicted" to the act of sex. After the act, the addict is often not satisfied and craves more. Sometimes, doing the act itself can exacerbate the desire to do it, which can send a person into a viscous cycle of craving and dependency. Breaking the cycle is the key to getting the addict off of the "desire" and on the road to recovery.

I am one of only a handful of male virgins left in the United States.

The Real 40 Year-Old Virgin of Orange County (Xlibris 2010)

Bachelor of Science, Fordham University

Many of the people who ask for my advice wish to remain anonymous. They are teenagers and young adults who for whatever reason can't discuss abstinence issues with family and friends. I have had a few clients from India, where modern technologies are allowing more people to engage in these issues.