Celibacy/Abstinence/Taming the Mind

Question
QUESTION: Greetings, I would like to start by humbly expressing my gratitude as your words of divine wisdom have proven to be most helpful in my pursuit of higher living. I am beginning to understand the 8 Limbs of Yoga and felt a very positive resonance upon understanding the materials. Although I would very much like to abide by these principles. I find that my mind often rebels when I try to implement. Example, When I deny myself sensual pleasures my mind immediately adopts a negative state. If it be your will, please shed light as to the appropriate course of action. Your guidance would be very much appreciated.

ANSWER: The negative state is is a reaction which all aspirants face in the course of the initial few years of practice. If all the limbs of Yoga are honestly applied with unbroken Brahmacharya and a sense of dispassion developed towards the world & its objects, the past Samakara-s (impressions) & Vasana-s (tendencies) causing such volatility gradually start to dissolve.

After many years of unbroken Brahmacharya and meditation with God surrender, such incidents greatly reduce and the advanced aspirant comes close to residing in the self most of the time. Such instances do not come into the purview then. Till then, one has to persevere using the methods suggested earlier and cross the hurdles which are the projections of the Ego.

Inquire - "Who wants sensual pleasures"? It will be known that it is the Ego. You are not the Ego but the pure self. So this mistaken identity is to be warded off. That is achieved by the aspirant through direct experience of the self in meditation until all ignorance is burnt away. Hence one has to constantly persevere to accomplish merging the mind into the Atman (self) and taste the self through direct experience, which eventually comes.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: So a man must maintain his dharma no matter how much discomfort it may bring him? Im asking because I want to make sure im not doing anything wrong before I committ myself to living a life of yoga. I appreciate your help and may you extend my gratitude to the lord.

Answer
That fight to adhere to Dharma is itself the challenge one has to face and eventually overcome by reaching one's soul state. Hurdles and obstacles are but natural in this quest and are overcome by constant effort and perseverance, following which shines the grace of the Supreme.

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay