Celibacy/Abstinence/Brahmacharya & Vegetarianism

QUESTION: 1)How important is physical-exertion/exercise to the maintenance of Brahmacharya?

God has been kind to me and doesn't let mind wander into sexuality even in the company of women (seem to have a maternal affection to my female friends).

However, recently I have had troubles: very brief wet-dreams.

2) After years of vegetarianism and living alone in a small-room in a cold western country, have not been able to look after myself properly- hence started consuming fish alone as medicine( not that I like the taste) 2/3 times a week. I do not eat onions or garlic and was hoping that fish fillets wouldn't do much harm as Manu Smruti categorises it as Rajasic and there are far worse vegetables. But on the whole, it was just persuasion from friends that led me to it and the fact that I must be able to perform well mentally in order to earn a living and look after my family, but I'm still quite unhappy with the decision ( it's only been a month) - What is your suggestion?

I'm 22 ; had  led a very disastrous teenage life of masturbation although have only had intercourse with one woman ever whom I was in love with and still continue to be good friends. I have been a pure-vegetarian since 13 but recently gave up and has been celibate since my 21st birthday. I do not practice any physical yoga, do walk a lot every day and am in good shape except a slightly potty belly( which is supposed to be a sign of Ishwarya!)  My communion with the self us quite strong but feel slightly cut off after giving up vegetarianism.

Also there seems to be rewards placed as I progress in my brahmacharya- are they mere distractions or godly gifts? I refer to women being increasingly attracted to me, social-connections and wonderful material opportunities coming my way.

Should I worry too much about it? Or just leave it to divine- will.  Thank you- I would really appreciate your advice. Om Tat Sat!

ANSWER: 1. It is preferable to be vegetarian during the initial years of Brahmacharya, to realize the self. The kind of food does not matter much to the advanced aspirant close to Enlightenment, as his base Samskara-s have mostly been negated, and limited food, be it of any kind, for sustenance does not cause havoc. However, the same cannot be said of the beginner, whose past Samskara-s and Vasana-s are very much alive.

Remain silent and eat the food which the inner voice suggests.

2. The frequent wet dreams are the sign of lack of proper transmutation. Walking or physical exercise comes in the realm of the body. It cannot work at the mental and causal levels. For that, proper Sadhana is required. Yoga Sadhana is therefore important for sustained progress. Go through all the past answers and apply the said methods in totem.

3. Ignore all the rewards, all the attention and all of the superiority which the Ego goes through on account of these. These are all distractions, which become serious impediments, if taken seriously. That which has to come comes... and that which has to go goes... The wise Yogi stays indifferent to both attention & rejection, profit & loss, happiness & sorrow, keeping in mind their illusory, ephemeral and unreal nature.

It is the self alone which is real and till one resides in the self, as the self, irreversibly, one should not rest and should not get distracted.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

To clarify: Initially, there were slight nocturnal emissions or emissions during the day after passing the urine that seemed like very thin liquid( Cowper's fluid perhaps as mentioned by Swami Sivananda) But the wet dreams as I said in the question before, started occurring after 6 months or so; very brief- perhaps one every month where I do see something explicit for spur of a moment and know what's happening) More vigorous sadhana is the only solution, I believe, you would say.

Further help needed:

1) Sleep: Have experienced greater tiredness/need to rest after taking up Brahmacharya. Does this mean Prana is being lost someway? I do not seem to go into the dream state at all( perhaps I am not recollecting it at all) but is the deep sleep/ sushi pit state as good as knowingly residing in Brahman as Brahman( what I referred to as Communion in my previous question)

2) Is it possible to succeed materially as well if one takes up Brahmacharya? Im really vexed when I think that most of that which is required for Brahmacharya calms one down and does not promote anything materilistic that brings monetary success in today's world. Not that this is my final goal but one that I must fulfil as a duty to parents. Moroever, I feel I could use my abilities better in these fields quite well and may not be quite ready for solittude. If I had my way, I would take up a solitary life of reflection as soon as possible.

4)Could you please suggest a time-table including a diet plan? How many times should one eat? ( At the moment I have a fruit  and sprouts breakfast and eat only after 12 AM and about 2 meals until 8pm and fast until fruits in the morning. I find it hard to wake up very early in the winter but once upon a time, did manage to do that and practice. Yoga-asanas and pranayama every morning in India with a teacher! Here my room is tiny and can barely stretch myself. The only option is running or brisk walking to exercise the body and keep my head fit for studying a professional subject and succeeding there.

I believe the wet dreams are more due to physical causes, irregular food or even perhaps occassional overeating and the like rather than mental emotions as I don't really have any worth mentioning during the waking state.

I'm so sorry to keep asking these questions; but I really do feel that I must open up to god who has come to me via Allexperts!

1. Lack of proper transmutation results in stagnation of energy at the lower regions, which then turns into inertia, heaviness and slumber. Correct transmutation will solve the issue. Hence the need for adequate Sadhana, as suggested earlier.

In 'Nidra' (deep sleep), individual consciousness is neither aware of itself, nor of the body/Ego/world. It is a state bereft of identification with these three and also bereft of identification with itself, under the cloak of 'Tamas' (darkness/inertia). Therefore, Sushupti or deep sleep does not confer knowledge of the self. Residence in the self is complete knowledge, awareness, bliss and pure being, which is contrary to deep sleep.

The bliss obtained in sleep is hence of a much inferior nature, stemming from the lack of consciousness of the body/Ego/world alone. The Jiva in sleep is in a state of inertia, completely unaware of itself as pure consciousness, while residence in the self is complete awareness of one's true nature of knowledge-bliss-pure being. There is hence no communion, for any state bereft of knowledge of the Atman is not communion.

2. That which is destined to come or go will come and go to the extent dictated by Prarabdha, at the right time and not before. Neither more, nor less comes or goes; neither before, nor later. The practice of Brahmacharya with surrender to the Lord gives the best chance for success, whatever be the concerned field. Knowing it to be such, let go of such useless worries concerning the Ego and do your Dharma without expectation.

3. Detailed answers as regards food & lifestyle are available in past answers.

ॐ तत् सत्

Questions concerning the practice of 'Brahmacharya' to know the self, & the means required are dealt with here.

The term 'Yoga' is a derivative of the Samskruth verb 'Yuj' which refers to union. 'Yoga', also called 'Brahma vidy‚' is the eternal dissolution of the individual 'Aham' (Ego) into the Atman (self) for 'Mukti' (liberation). Mere indulgence in '¬sana' or physical postures is not Yoga. ¬sana is only one limb or 'Anga' of Yoga. The eight limbs viz. Yama, Niyama, ¬sana, Pr‚n‚y‚ma, Praty‚h‚ra, Dh‚rana, Dhy‚na and Sam‚dhi are the means to Yoga. Brahmacharya or spiritually based continence is one of the important components of 'Yama'. 'Brahmacharya':- "Brahmani charyathey ithi" - "To surrender one's Ego and go with the will of the Almighty."

Bachelors degree in Engineering.