Celibacy/Abstinence/Glimpses of Self

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dhananjay Ji,
After reading books and material on the subject matter of the self, by the grace of the lord, I am beginning to experience glimpses of a separate awareness with has the ability to view my physical self, objectively. Naturally I would like to strengthen the presence of this awareness within my own psyche through meditation. My question is what would be the contents or the method of meditation to strengthen this awareness. Also, my mind is beginning to feel 'empty'. Almost as if my vichara sakti and intellect power is beginning to disappear and diminish. Is this supposed to happen when one is merging with the self? I dont tell anyone about these things, is that supposed to include not telling even gyani purushs like yourself? Your divine guidance is very much appreciated. Much love and well wishes to you. Thank you

ANSWER: 1. What is required is constant and unbroken Sadhana, which eventually leads to deep meditation and thereby residence in the self (Samadhi).

2. The seed of meditation to realize the self is the infinite (pure consciousness). The method to achieve this is to first start meditation on the endless, infinite, empty space devoid of all objects, thoughts or forms, thinking one's self as no different from it.

The aspirant sits in Padmasana or Sidhasana, closes his eyes and focus at the 'Thrikuti (region between the eyebrows). He then sits steady, relating with the resulting dark, empty space as the infinite and endless self, no different from the Lord. By the strength of his past Samskara-s and Vasana-s, various thoughts surface when he sits to meditate and even while in the process. All these thoughts are to be displaced and ignored, for they are all impediments to meditation. Succumbing to such thoughts results in failure.

Through years of such practice backed by strict adherence to all the 8-Anga-s of Yoga, the mind gradually becomes empty of all thoughts, yet is fully aware of itself in the ocean of consciousness. Then starts 'Savikalpa Samadhi' which leads to Siddhi-s (which are another distraction)

After spending many years in the regions of Savikalpa Samadhi and finally realizing the illusive & false nature of the Siddhi-s and therefore that of the Ego, the aspirant finally realizes the Ego to be his greatest enemy in the quest to the self. That the Ego, world and the mind are one and the same, being reflections of each other, is eventually realized. This leads to extreme dispassion for the world and its objects.

There is a sudden drop in the intensity of the Ego, which is now perceived as being false and unreal. Its nature of superimposition becomes clear. This eventually leads to withdrawal of the mind into the self, where even the awareness "I am meditating" is lost and pure consciousness alone remains, with all the senses going dead. That is 'Nirvikalpa Samadhi', the entrance to which opens the possibility into residence in the self.

3. Various states of the mind and non-mind are experienced during the initial stages of practice. These appear and disappear, making the aspirant feel as though the goal is reached, while the reality is different. One should ignore all these and tenaciously persevere till he is free from the opposites both inside and outside the state of meditation; till the mind is irreversibly merged in the self for eternity. Then alone does one reside in the self, as the self, where there is no in or out, no subject or object and no 'I' or 'others'.

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)

QUESTION: What is the difference between dharana meditation and dhyana meditation? Also I have read that no amount of reasoning or intellectual inquiry can lead one to the self. The self only comes through direct experience. How is one introduced to an experience of the self? Purely by ones effort and the grace of god? If yes, what is defined as "effort"? If you could explain the process by which one through effort leads to the self?

Answer
1. Dharana refers to concentration meditation within the purview of a field.

2. Dhyana refers to unwavering contemplation on the seed of meditation.

3. Reasoning comes under the realm of the Ego and not the self, for the self is all knowing and hence does not reason. Therefore, it is not possible to know the self through reasoning. The self is to be known by itself.

4. When the one trying to know the self disappears after the required Sadhana, the self knows itself by it's (HIS) grace.

5. Effort refers to activity carried out by the Ego to know the self, though it is the self alone, by whose energy the Ego functions, having no independent existence of its own. By such effort, the Ego ultimately gets dissolved, and the self, which is of the nature of pure consciousness remains.

6. The self is not realized through effort but by itself. Effort is however required, as long as the one applying it (Ego) is alive.

ॐ तत् सत्

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay