Celibacy/Abstinence/Pranayama and Meditation

Question
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your advise, I have recently started doing some asanas as you recommended together with meditation at the end of pranayama. During this meditation I just try(relaxed) to focus on 3rd eye chakra and after some time I see an empty(do not know how to describe it is not "empty" per se" )space there and I wonder what is this space. During this time I can see some thoughts moving here and there but I try to focus again on this empty space. So my question is what is the significance of this empty space is it some sort of energy and I am sometimes wondering whether I am this empty space itself. It gives me a very relaxed feeling and I do this only for 15 minutes after pranayama. Your kind insights will be very helpful.

Another question is when we sit in a completely dark room, and then we open and close the eyes there is no difference. and what do we perceive with opened or closed eyes at this time. Is what i see with eyes opened and closed in the dark room , same as what i see during 3rd eye meditation.

Answer
1. The third eye region is the representation of the 'Ajna Chakra', which is the gateway to connect to higher realms of consciousness and finally with one's own self, which is pure consciousness.

2. One should focus on the empty space as representing pure consciousness or the Atman (self), no different from the Lord, extending to infinity. When one first sits in meditation, the mind and the senses are still active and various thoughts crop up. One should ignore all such thoughts and focus only on the infinite, reminding oneself as being no different. When such a meditation on the infinite and pure nature of the Atman (self) is carried out for many years, all thoughts disappear and one merges into pure consciousness which is his true state, without any external awareness. That is 'Samadhi' (union with the self), the practice of which acts as a tool for self-realization.

3. You are not the empty space but the infinite Atman, from whom has come the space & in whom rests that space. The Atman is beyond space and time, for these concern the limited mind. Meditation on empty space as representing the Atman is only a method to eventually transcend space and time, so as to realize one's self which is beyond both these.

4. It is always preferable for the beginner to meditate in the dark, as the presence of light/visions becomes a distraction. One should not focus on that which is seen during meditation, whatever it be, for that which is seen is of no value. Only when one overcomes all the senses in the meditative state and overcomes the awareness "I am meditating" as well, does real meditation begin. Then, there is no mind but pure consciousness alone. Such a state is attainable only through surrender of the 'I-ness' (Ego).

ॐ तत् सत्
(That Supreme being is the absolute truth)  

Celibacy/Abstinence

Dhananjay